The Central Texas Chapter of The National Forum for Black Public Administrators (NFBPA) is excited to host our Annual Leadership Summit 2017!
Theme: Leadership Summit 2017: Engage, Empower, Enhance – Keys to Precision in Performance for Public Administrators
Engage – The open government initiative was created to make the federal government more transparent, participatory and collaborative. Learn how governments at all levels engage their community through the use of emerging technologies, customer service and economic engagement.
Empower – Empowerment is not giving people power, however, it is providing people the opportunity to cultivate their existing power to make positive change within their scope of authority. How can public employees unleash this power? Gain the skills and knowledge that will allow you to overcome obstacles in the work environment and ultimately, help you develop yourself and be the positive change needed in public administration.
Enhance – Most Public Administrators focus on implementing programs to serve the public good and/or the needs of a particular population. Strengthen your core competencies by adding new skills to your toolbox and refresh existing skills to help you improve circumstances, neighborhoods and communities.
About the Summit
NFBPA Central Texas Chapter invites all to participate in two days of dynamic professional development, hear from thought-provoking, attention grabbing keynote speakers, and opportunity to share best practices while engaging in nurturing creative idea-generating experiences. The Leadership Summit will offer over 12 sessions where attendees will learn from public sector experts and business leaders. There will be valuable networking opportunities and the chance to engage local top executives during the speed mentoring session. There will be local vendors and a health fair.
The Leadership Summit’s professional development program has been designed to meet the learning needs of all attendees at all experience levels public service. The attendee’s learning experience will sharpen essential tools and develop new skills making them more valuable to their organizations. The depth of subject matter covered at the summit provides quality programs for attendees whether you are a student pursuing a degree in public administration, an evolving manager or an experienced executive.
We know you have limited time and limited dollars spend attending a conference. So we have planned a conference certainly well worth the money and definitely well worth the time!
What to Expect
- A series of workshops and seminars for the development and enhancement of the public administrator as well as private industry.
- Cutting-edge thinking by state, regional, and national speakers from across the US to encourage more engagement in our communities.
- The Education Excellence Scholarship Luncheon seeks to promote public administration to our local high school students while providing inspiration for future enhancement
- A meeting of prominent city, county, state, and national leaders from varying spectrums in public administration such as utility executives, regional and national city management experts to discuss challenges and opportunities facing their cities.
- Numerous opportunities to expand your network of career associates and gain a national view as you meet and greet highly respected colleagues from around the country
*Pre-Registration is Required to Participate
Benefits of Speed Mentoring?:
The speed mentoring event was created to provide a professional development opportunity for members and Summit attendees to Engage, get Empowered and Enhance their potential by asking questions and attaining new insight for their professional growth.
- Participants will meet with City and County Executives.
- Develop potential short or long term mentor/mentee relationship
- Obtain clarity on life and choices for their career goals
- Develop new networks of contacts
Benefits for Mentees:
A mentoring relationship can provide a mentee with:
- Greater clarity on life and career choices and their own career goals
- New insight on the company’s culture and organization
- Different perspectives and cultural values
- The opportunity to develop new networks of contacts
- Access to new resources
- Greater career satisfaction and increased likelihood of career success
- Development in areas not typically address through training or on the job
Benefits for Mentors
As a mentor, there is the benefit of having the opportunity to enhance their leadership skills and expand their perspectives by:
- Seeing the business world through different eyes
- Being challenged on perceived wisdom
- Increasing their awareness of issues at other levels of an organization
- Meeting new members of the organization
- Sharing experiences that will guide and develop a pipeline of talent
- Provide insight on the process to transfer formal leadership skills for today’s leaders to the leaders of the future.